Monday, June 7, 2010

A better Update

Ok, so this trip has been amazing so far. Granted the flight over is killer, but it all passes eventually. The students and I have all been able to set in well. It has been really amazing to see this experience through fresh eyes from them. They seem to be really enjoying themselves and are acclimating really well.

As far as what all we have done so far, there has been so much. We all leave to go to our perspective villages on Wednesday so there has been so much to do to get ready. In the mean time I have been showing them around Kampala. I made them ride the boda bodas (motorcycle taxis), matatus (bus taxis) and we have also done our fair share of walking. We have been doing "lessons" on how to negotiate prices for things as well as how to communicate clearly. I brought in one of my informants,David, from last summer to hold a language workshop for them in Lugandan, the local language here in Kampala. We also got invited out to David's house and his family cooked a traditional meal for us all and we got to meet his whole family. There were about 26 of us in all and it was amazing. We have spent a lot of time with my informants from last year and I think it has really given the students some insight into how Uganda is. Jude took us out to some of his favorite night spots so the students got to experience the local music and hang out with fellow University students. Then last night we found our way to a local concert and made tons of new Ugandan friends.

It has been an amazing experience with very few surprises. I am having a great time getting to share this experience with other people and being able to both teach and learn along the way.

Ok, this is my first day to have internet so I still much to do. Will post from my journal in the upcoming days so that I can share some in depth experiences with you all.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment