Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Real Time Update

Real Time Update….

People really piss me off sometimes. I am really having a problem being an anthropologist today. I am reading, learning, hearing, discovering so much about the HIV/AIDS situation here that I am just getting so overwhelmed. It is amazing to me that people want to teach about not having sex (yes abstinence only programming) until marriage, yet it is the married population where the rates of HIV/AIDS is growing and is the highest. There are people here that have completely abandoned the promotion of condom use and safe sex education because they believe that pre-marital sex is on the outs. Not only that, people have spoken out against condom use here in Africa (religious leaders) therefore the access to them is almost none existent. How is this? I am so absolutely frustrated at how people can say that condom use is bad because it invites children to have sex before marriage yet deny that extra-marital sex is the larger culprit here. Ok people, teenagers have sex, people have affairs, people experiment with their sexuality, and people are not monogamous or abstinent until marriage!!! Lets give them the tools to keep themselves safe rather than deny the reality that is from the conversations you can have on the street!

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment