Thursday, June 25, 2009

Update: Behind on writing

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I have been so deficient on keeping everyone up to date. I have fallen way behind on transcribing my day-to-day notes and so have been unable to post them up here. I am going to try to do a quick rundown on what has been going on:

So, the rest of Friday was an amazing day on the coffee plantation complete with many cows, chickens, bigs, and veggies like brocolli, cabbage, rice, and then pineapple, manogos, papayas, and etc. It was an amazing experience and the farmer was so interesting and I am keeping in touch with him via e-mail. Saturday we spent reading and writing but got invited by one of our informants to go to a night spot for people our age. It was amazing to get out with people our own age and have some good conversation. We were at a club, the most popular in Kampala (complete with soccer stars that everyone flocked to) but I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. After we got past the few stares from the fact that we were white, we had an amazing time and got to talk to a lot of people. Sunday we just had a lazy day of reading and writing as much the same on Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday were spent e-mailing people about hiccups in our research and attending meetings at the foundation. Where we stand right now is that the review board keeps pushing back our review for some unknown reason, causing us to not be able to conduct in depth interviews or focus groups. We have a lot of people working on helping us get approval, but it doesn't look good. We are spending a lot of our time coming up with creative alternatives into what other kinds of information that we can collect on. We already have a lot of suggestions for the program but were wanting to accomplish a little more this summer. We know that this is an ongoing project and that we will be returning next summer, it is just a matter of not following our plan.....and I like plans.

Well that is it for the moment, as I get more of my notes typed up I will post them. Also, I have some interesting reflections that will give some greater insight into the complicated eduction-religion-cultural-disease delimma that we are dealing with hear.

Cheers from the muzungo (white guy)!

1 comment:

  1. Ki kati muzungo! I love that you have such extensive notes yet apologize for not posting more :) That said I do love reading your guy's updates and I laughed out loud at the thought of you in safari gear. Please tell me you had knee high socks.
    Sounds like you are working through the kinks of research timing and it may be a blessing because now you'll get a democracy of perspectives. I'm having to push through paper work and bureaucracy too so I understand. I hope the culture shock/homesickness is getting better and I can't wait for you both to get back and tell me stories!!
    Take care,
    Nic

    ReplyDelete